THE family of a man who died after doctors repeatedly failed to diagnose his illness handed over a 16,000 petition to the Andalucian ombudsman.
The petition is demanding an investigation into the reasons behind Luis Alberto Ramirez’s death and for hygiene standards to improve.
Ramirez – known as Lucky to his friends – went to both the hospital and health centre on four separate occasions, but his peritonitis was not detected.
The family has now denounced five doctors, four from Ronda hospital and one from the Gaucin health centre, for medical negligence.
“The hospital has promised an internal investigation, but it has done nothing,” said Ramirez’s sister Maria.
Lucky died in April 2008 after first going to Algatocin’s health centre with a painful stomach ache, from where he was transferred to Ronda hospital for a series of tests.
As reported in the Olive Press, after a 24-hour wait, during which he was only given a seat, he was discharged to await the results.
But days later Lucky’s health worsened causing his mother to call the Gaucin medical centre.
“Lucky’s state continued to deteriorate so they took him to Ronda hospital where he was just given antibiotics and sent home once again”.
She asked the doctor if he could make a home visit but he never did.
The next day the family went to Gaucin health centre and asked to see the test results, but they were not available.
Lucky’s state continued to deteriorate so they took him to Ronda hospital where he was just given antibiotics and sent home once again.
His health deteriorated that night, forcing his family to call an ambulance – but they were all busy – so they were forced to take Lucky to Algatocín themselves.
However, on arriving at the accident and emergency centre, Lucky suffered a cardiac arrest.
The doctors managed to revive him and he was immediately transferred to Ronda hospital, but he passed away, aged 24.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27