POLICE have foiled a daring prison break in an airship.
Detectives managed to intercept delivery of the four metre long zeppelin, sent to an Italian drug dealer serving 20 years for trafficking.
The 51-year-old had drawn plans of his daring escape and sent them to gang members outside the prison on Gran Canaria.
But his plans were ruined when warders at El Salto de Negro prison in Las Palmas became aware of his intentions.
Three of his colleagues had already set up motion detectors in the vicinity of the prison in preparation for his escape.
But just before he could start inflating the zeppelin, police pounced, arresting two Spaniards and a Uruguayan in the process.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00