RUNNERS are preparing for an incredible 240km endurance test.
BBC cameras will be on hand to film around 100 hardy contestants from around the world as they start the Al Andalus Ultra Trail this week.
The five-day challenge, including soldiers and professional sportsmen, starts from Loja today.
The route will see the runners visit several towns and villages in the Granada mountains before making the return journey, through Santa Cruz del Comercio, to Loja.
Sixty professional runners from 12 countries are taking part in this year’s event.
The event also includes 11 teams of competitors.
Among them, a group of soldiers will be running for the charity Help for Heroes and the Afghan Trust. The soldiers will be joined for the final stretch by a comrade who recently lost a leg in Afghanistan.
Organised by British runner Paul Bateson of Team Axasport, his team have spent a year preparing the route to ensure participants have a safe and enjoyable week.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00