ANDALUCIA is reeling from a youth crime surge.
As well as an increase in racist attacks, the incidence of violent crime among young people has soared.
According to statistics released this week, there has been a 30 per cent increase in youths being tried by the courts in just three years.
The news comes as two under-age girls – aged just 12 and 13 – were gang-raped in two separate incidents last week, one in Cordoba, the other in Huelva.
Meanwhile a war between rival gangs in the Axarquia flared up again, leaving two men in hospital with stab wounds, one of whom had already been shot in May.
Malaga judge Manuel Caballero-Bonald recently confirmed that the number of attacks by young people resulting in injuries has increased dramatically in 2008 and 2009.
“These attacks are often so serious they constitute criminal offences,” he said.
“Many victims come from the hospital straight to the courts.”
The increase in violent crime was one of the main reasons why the authorities in Malaga recently banned outdoor drinking, known as the botellon.
A police source told the Olive Press: “What should be simple fights are turning into really vicious bloodbaths.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00