ANDALUCIA is reeling from a youth crime surge.
As well as an increase in racist attacks, the incidence of violent crime among young people has soared.
According to statistics released this week, there has been a 30 per cent increase in youths being tried by the courts in just three years.
The news comes as two under-age girls – aged just 12 and 13 – were gang-raped in two separate incidents last week, one in Cordoba, the other in Huelva.
Meanwhile a war between rival gangs in the Axarquia flared up again, leaving two men in hospital with stab wounds, one of whom had already been shot in May.
Malaga judge Manuel Caballero-Bonald recently confirmed that the number of attacks by young people resulting in injuries has increased dramatically in 2008 and 2009.
“These attacks are often so serious they constitute criminal offences,” he said.
“Many victims come from the hospital straight to the courts.”
The increase in violent crime was one of the main reasons why the authorities in Malaga recently banned outdoor drinking, known as the botellon.
A police source told the Olive Press: “What should be simple fights are turning into really vicious bloodbaths.”
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00