AROUND half of all swimming pools in Malaga have failed to meet safety standards.
In a recent investigation, 48 per cent of pools did not meet acceptable health and safety standards.
Serious problems include poor quality of water, a failure to ensure the use of anti-slip surfaces around the pool and – most alarmingly – the absence of lifeguards.
The findings come as a worry to the Federation of Life Saving, with the failure to follow legal safety procedures a danger for those using swimming pools.
“48 per cent of pools did not meet acceptable health and safety standards.”
The Federation alleges that many pools attempt to cut costs by claiming that maintenance staff are also trained lifeguards.
Poor practice and the irresponsible behaviour of lifeguards has led to the Federation receiving over 300 complaints from those worried about safety standards.
Of the 3,480 registered swimming pools in Malaga province, most were exempt from inspection due to their size or being used by a single household.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58