ENGLAND star Glen Johnson has splashed out 3.5 million euros on the perfect party home should England romp to World Cup glory next summer.
The Liverpool defender bought the luxurious seven-bedroom villa, complete with private pool, cinema and solarium in exclusive Sotogrande.
Johnson, 25, has become a new neighbour to former England boss Glenn Hoddle, who has a home next door, as well as motor racing boss Eddie Jordan.
The resort has become increasingly popular with the rich and famous, as well as royalty with Prince Andrew, Fergie and both princes William and Harry regularly taking holidays there.
If Johnson tires of his home comforts he can also improve his handicap at the Almenara golf course by simply walking out of his back gate.
The resort is also home to world famous courses, including Sotogrande and Valderrama, where Colin Montgomery inspired Europe to Ryder Cup glory in 1997.
The former Chelsea defender has often courted controversy off the pitch but the agent who sold him the flash house revealed “he’s really a nice guy, not like most footballers”.
In January 2007 Johnson received an 100 euro, on-the-spot fine for attempting to steal a toilet seat from a B&Q warehouse in Dartford, Kent.
“He’s really a nice guy, not like most footballers”.
Johnson – who completed a big-money move to Liverpool this summer – will now join a growing contingent of footballers who own property on the Costa del Sol.
Current England stars David Bentley, Michael Owen and Ashley Cole also have getaways here.
One local estate agent said: “This is great news for the area.”
After their consummate qualification campaign, England are now one of the favourites to lift the Jules Rimet trophy next summer and Johnson’s new Spanish pad could be the scene of some wild celebrations.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00