SEVILLA has been declared an endangered heritage site due to the construction of a massive skyscraper opposite the historic centre.
The city is one of six Spanish sites included on a World Monuments Fund (WMF) list of 93 endangered architectural and cultural heritage sites around the world.
The 178 metre tall office block, Torre Cajasol, is already under construction, despite UNESCO also warning of the dangers of building it in July, as reported in the Olive Press.
Now the WMF, which is based in New York, adds that the building would affect “the sublime vista across its historic cityscape and riverfront.”
Construction of the building has also been heavily criticised by green and ecological groups.
The WMF issues a biennial report of at-risk heritage sites, which is decided by an international panel of experts.
“The WMF, which is based in New York, adds that the building would affect “the sublime vista across its historic cityscape and riverfront.”
UNESCO insists that it will have an irreversible effect on the city’s key historical sites, particularly in the Triana district.
The city was granted the status of a World Heritage Site in 1996. However, it could lose this status as UNESCO do not think the Torre Cajasol is compatible with other buildings in Sevilla.
The New York-based WMF is also concerned with proposed housing developments along the River Tagus in Toledo.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00