A DESPERATE bid has been launched to prevent a second tragedy at the historic farmhouse that inspired Federico Garcia Lorca’s Blood Wedding.
The PP party in Almeria has demanded the urgent restoration of Cortijo del Fraile, which is literally crumbling into the ground.
Despite the Junta agreeing to protect the building, where the infamous Crimen de Nijar took place in 1931, it is still in an “appalling state”.
“It is almost a complete ruin and needs urgent attention,” said PP boss Rosalia Espinosa.
The Olive Press raised the plight of the building in the Cabo de Gata natural park in September.
Blood Wedding told the story of the events of 1931 when the secret lover of a bride was murdered on her wedding day.
The remains of Spain’s most famous poet are currently being dug up at a Civil War mass grave in Alfacar.
The Junta approved the decision to protect the monumental building in 2008, but no refurbishment work has yet taken place.
The Nijar authorities have been trying to get the building listed to protect it since 2004.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00