A DESPERATE bid has been launched to prevent a second tragedy at the historic farmhouse that inspired Federico Garcia Lorca’s Blood Wedding.
The PP party in Almeria has demanded the urgent restoration of Cortijo del Fraile, which is literally crumbling into the ground.
Despite the Junta agreeing to protect the building, where the infamous Crimen de Nijar took place in 1931, it is still in an “appalling state”.
“It is almost a complete ruin and needs urgent attention,” said PP boss Rosalia Espinosa.
The Olive Press raised the plight of the building in the Cabo de Gata natural park in September.
Blood Wedding told the story of the events of 1931 when the secret lover of a bride was murdered on her wedding day.
The remains of Spain’s most famous poet are currently being dug up at a Civil War mass grave in Alfacar.
The Junta approved the decision to protect the monumental building in 2008, but no refurbishment work has yet taken place.
The Nijar authorities have been trying to get the building listed to protect it since 2004.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00