AFTER 12 years of marriage, the Duke and Duchess of Lugo are the first couple in the Spanish Royal family to have divorced.
Infanta Elena, the eldest daughter of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, and Jaime de Marichalar had been temporarily separated for two years and signed their divorce papers this week.
The couple have two children, 11-year-old Felipe Froilan and Victoria, 9. The children will live with their mother, with their father having full access rights.
A statement released by their lawyers said the divorce papers were signed by mutual agreement.
It also stated that Infanta Elena’s family still feel affection and regard for Don Jaime.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27