BNP leader Nick Griffin was special guest at a fascist rally that ended in a riot.
Racist Griffin – whose party would encourage sportsmen such as boxer Amir Khan and footballer Rio Ferdinand to leave the UK – was a special guest at the Madrid event celebrating the death of former dictator General Franco.
Police were on high alert in the capital as Franco supporters from party Democracia Nacional marched through the streets to commemorate the dictator’s death on November 20 1975.
In total, 28 protesters were arrested when riots broke out between youths from the rival ultra-right Patriotic Socialist Movement when they were refused entry to the event.
Spanish fascists traditionally gather at the Valle de los Caidos basilica on the outskirts of Madrid to pay homage to Franco. The monument took 19 years of forced labour by Republican prisoners to build.
But since the law of Historical Memory was passed in 2007, political demonstrations have been banned at the monument.
A BNP spokesperson confirmed that Griffin had attended a political meeting in Madrid.
His mother-in-law Muriel Cook, 72, has described him as a “work-shy pretender” and “a racist”, who wants to see an all-white UK.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00