BNP leader Nick Griffin was special guest at a fascist rally that ended in a riot.
Racist Griffin – whose party would encourage sportsmen such as boxer Amir Khan and footballer Rio Ferdinand to leave the UK – was a special guest at the Madrid event celebrating the death of former dictator General Franco.
Police were on high alert in the capital as Franco supporters from party Democracia Nacional marched through the streets to commemorate the dictator’s death on November 20 1975.
In total, 28 protesters were arrested when riots broke out between youths from the rival ultra-right Patriotic Socialist Movement when they were refused entry to the event.
Spanish fascists traditionally gather at the Valle de los Caidos basilica on the outskirts of Madrid to pay homage to Franco. The monument took 19 years of forced labour by Republican prisoners to build.
But since the law of Historical Memory was passed in 2007, political demonstrations have been banned at the monument.
A BNP spokesperson confirmed that Griffin had attended a political meeting in Madrid.
His mother-in-law Muriel Cook, 72, has described him as a “work-shy pretender” and “a racist”, who wants to see an all-white UK.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00