VINCENT Van Gogh is coming to Malaga next year as one of the first exhibitions at the new Thyssen museum.
As well as paintings by the Dutch master, who famously cut off his ear, there will be a number of paintings by other artists influenced by him.
One of the key paintings will be Moulin de la Galette depicting a windmill in Montemarte.
Opening in early 2011, the Thyssen museum will have a permanent collection of over 200 paintings from 19th and 20th centuries. Most will have an Andalucian theme.
It is part of what is said to be the most important private collection in the world.
The sister museum to Madrid’s Thyssen-Bornemisza is owned by former Miss Spain, Baroness Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza.
“The museum is going to be spectacular,” said the baroness when she visited the site, the Villalon Palace, in the heart of Malaga, last week.
Most of the paintings come from her ex-husband Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza’s art collection started in the 1920s and were continued by his son after his death.
The Baroness currently loans her entire 800 million euro collection to the Spanish government but the lease expires on February 11 next year.
Meetings between the Culture Minister Angeles Gonzalez-Sinde and the Baroness hope to yield a new 25-year deal costing around 10 million euros a year.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00