VINCENT Van Gogh is coming to Malaga next year as one of the first exhibitions at the new Thyssen museum.
As well as paintings by the Dutch master, who famously cut off his ear, there will be a number of paintings by other artists influenced by him.
One of the key paintings will be Moulin de la Galette depicting a windmill in Montemarte.
Opening in early 2011, the Thyssen museum will have a permanent collection of over 200 paintings from 19th and 20th centuries. Most will have an Andalucian theme.
It is part of what is said to be the most important private collection in the world.
The sister museum to Madrid’s Thyssen-Bornemisza is owned by former Miss Spain, Baroness Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza.
“The museum is going to be spectacular,” said the baroness when she visited the site, the Villalon Palace, in the heart of Malaga, last week.
Most of the paintings come from her ex-husband Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza’s art collection started in the 1920s and were continued by his son after his death.
The Baroness currently loans her entire 800 million euro collection to the Spanish government but the lease expires on February 11 next year.
Meetings between the Culture Minister Angeles Gonzalez-Sinde and the Baroness hope to yield a new 25-year deal costing around 10 million euros a year.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00