A PROTEST march against “astronomical” urbanisation charges on homes in Chiclana is taking place later this month.
La Plataforma Vecinos Afectados por la Regularización de Chiclana is demonstrating over water and sewage charges ranging from 38,000 to 70,000 euros per house.
The strict deadlines on payments is another source of anger for owners of the illegally built homes in the Campo.
Households are being asked to pay all of the fees in less than seven years, incurring a sizeable monthly outlay.
Group member, Guillermina Ranirez Gray, explains: “People here, many unemployed or with young families and mortgages, can not afford to pay that kind of money.
“The Mayor is trying to say we are against the urbanisation but that is not true.”
La Plataforma claim the EU has given money to cover the water and sewage costs.
The group represents neighbourhood associations and stresses they are not opposed to the Urbanisation itself.
Taking place on Saturday March 20 at 11am the protest will march from the Bullring in Chiclana de la Frontera through to the New Market.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27