THE battle to keep the El Torcal valley free from wind farms has been backed by Antequera town hall.
Mayor Ricardo Millan has revealed that the town’s latest development plan (PGOU) will emphasize the protected status of the area.
The scheme, which was exposed in the Olive Press in April last year, has also been opposed by Villanueva de la Concepcion town hall.
The project would see 75 wind turbines being installed in the so-called Parque Eolico Los Lentiscares scheme.
Residents’ group, El Quijote Contra los Molinos, has long sought town hall backing in its campaign against wind turbines between Antequera and Alora.
The group claims it will destroy the area’s important tourist industry and endanger a number of rare birds.
“This is not about nimbyism,” said Czech resident Bob Hrabal. “We are not against sustainable energy. We genuinely believe this is an ineffective and badly-sited scheme.
“It is not just expatriates, many local Spaniards have put their life savings into running casas rurales to supplement their pensions.
“Once the windmills go in it is end of story.”
Shrouded in secrecy, the scheme has been criticised for not being subject to a public consultation and not providing enough information.
Numerous companies are believed to have submitted tenders to build turbines in the area.
The group, which counts on Spanish, German and English residents, claims the town hall of Valle de Abdalajis favours the windmills, while Alora and Almogia are non-committal.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48