A GUARDIA Civil officer has been arrested after a blundering bank raid in Jerez.
The 56-year-old, from the Balearic Islands, was caught after trying to flee with 3,600 euros worth of cash.
Wearing a plastic anorak, sunglasses and hat the officer had earlier held up a BBVA branch at gun point in Jerez de la Frontera.
But the officer’s seemingly perfect crime was foiled after he was forced to return to the scene of the crime.
On escaping the bank, the absent-minded law enforcer realised he had a left a finger-print laden sheet in the foyer.
And this slip proved vital in his capture, as after his making his second getaway, three people followed him from a safe distance.
Police then swooped on the Ceuta-based officer in open air. “Police arrived shortly after the alarm was raised,” said one witness.
He had previously forced the cashier to hand over wads of cash, with his regulation pistol discreetly hidden underneath a newspaper.
“I want 500, 200, 100, 50 and 20 euro notes,” he demanded. “Don’t risk your life for a bank.”
Officials are now investigating if the clumsy officer has committed similar heists elsewhere.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27