ENGLAND football legend Sir Geoff Hurst has won his High Court battle over a 690,000-euro Costa del Sol investment swindle.
The World Cup hat-trick hero claimed he was conned into investing in the luxury apartment complex in Puerto Banus.
Sir Geoff, along with six other investors, sued former financial advisor, Mark Cordner, for misrepresenting the terms of the off-plan villas.
“I feel some remorse at allowing my name to be used and abused in the way it has been.”
The 68-year-old paid for two unbuilt flats from Marbella Group and also agreed to become the face of its advertising campaigns.
However, the group did not even own the site and another firm built the properties.
The judge agreed that the prosecutors had been fooled by Cordner’s “deceit”.
Sir Geoff said: “I feel some remorse at allowing my name to be used and abused in the way it has been.
“Most of the people I have been associated with have been very forgiving of my role in this. I was at fault for not looking at the deal more closely.”
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48