The oracle octopus was right yet again!
With a 116th minute goal by Andres Iniesta, ‘la Furia Roja’ captured its first World Cup title ever last night.
The historic Spanish victory came after a dirty match against the Netherlands with a record-high 14 yellow cards and numerous goal opportunities just shy of success.
Packed Spanish bars erupted last night as seas of supporters dressed in red with their faces painted watched goalkeeper Iker Casillas lift the cup, surrounded by his teammates under a shower of confetti.
Fans filled the streets, wrapped themselves in the Spanish flag with pride, and cheered “¡Yo soy Español, Español, Español!” long into the night.
The victory comes on the heels of the team’s 2008 European Championship title, and some say the squad has started a new era for Spanish football.
The German octopus ‘Paul,’ who had made seven consecutive accurate World Cup outcome predictions before the final, must have been proud to see his eighth and final prediction come true last night.
“The octopus will be very popular in Spain,” said World Cup hero and man of the match Iniesta.
Midfielder Sergio Busquets wore his newly updated kit with a single star on it to represent the Spanish World Cup victory as he celebrated after the match.
Saying exactly what crazed fans across Spain were thinking, Busquets put it simply: “We’ve been waiting a whole life for this.”
¡Viva la Furia Roja!
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00