By Wendy Williams
IRISH rock band U2 have been fined 18,000 euros for making too much noise during rehearsals for the start of their current 360 Degree world tour.
Following numerous complaints from angry residents, city chiefs in Barcelona ruled that the band had exceeded noise limits.
And according to a statement issued by local authorities the band were fined for: “Rehearsing until midnight, two hours over the scheduled time, and at sound levels above those set by authorities.”
The group was practicing in Barcelona FC’s Camp Nou stadium in the days leading up to their concerts on 30 June and 2 July last year when the complaints were made.
This is not the first time that U2 have received a slap on the wrist for pumping up the volume.
They also received a hefty 36,000 euro fine for making too much of a racket in Croke Park in their home town of Dublin last year.
But in spite of the penalties incurred, U2 are set to return to Spain next month.
However the planned concert in Sevilla has been pushed back a day due to a nationwide strike over the government’s proposed labour reform.
Anyone travelling to Sevilla to see U2 should now go on the following day, 30 September.
Details of the strike have not yet been confirmed but it is likely to have an impact on public sector staff, affecting public transport and security services.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00