By Wendy Williams
IRISH rock band U2 have been fined 18,000 euros for making too much noise during rehearsals for the start of their current 360 Degree world tour.
Following numerous complaints from angry residents, city chiefs in Barcelona ruled that the band had exceeded noise limits.
And according to a statement issued by local authorities the band were fined for: “Rehearsing until midnight, two hours over the scheduled time, and at sound levels above those set by authorities.”
The group was practicing in Barcelona FC’s Camp Nou stadium in the days leading up to their concerts on 30 June and 2 July last year when the complaints were made.
This is not the first time that U2 have received a slap on the wrist for pumping up the volume.
They also received a hefty 36,000 euro fine for making too much of a racket in Croke Park in their home town of Dublin last year.
But in spite of the penalties incurred, U2 are set to return to Spain next month.
However the planned concert in Sevilla has been pushed back a day due to a nationwide strike over the government’s proposed labour reform.
Anyone travelling to Sevilla to see U2 should now go on the following day, 30 September.
Details of the strike have not yet been confirmed but it is likely to have an impact on public sector staff, affecting public transport and security services.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00