By Wendy Williams
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to demand the urgent construction of a water treatment plant in the Guadalhorce valley.
Spearheaded by the IU party, it is demanding an immediate end to the pouring of over 10,000 litres of untreated sewage into Guadalhorce River every year.
Coordinator Miguel Esteban Martín, said: “The contamination of the rivers and underwater aquifers is not acceptable.”
He continued: “Currently nine municipalities, covering more than 100,000 registered inhabitants, are continuing to release untreated sewage into the river.
“It is causing a decline in populations of fish, amphibians, reptiles, invertebrates, birds and vegetation”.
By law the process should have come to an end by 2009.
The IU does not support the Water Agency’s plan to build a single sewage plant focusing on Pizarra and Álora, describing it as “economically and environmentally unsustainable.”
It is anticipated that the campaign, called Guadalhorce Vivo, Depuradora Ya, began in Pizarra, will spread to all municipalities in the district.
A petition of 10,000 signatures will be handed into the Junta in Sevilla.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful little village? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00