By Wendy Williams
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to demand the urgent construction of a water treatment plant in the Guadalhorce valley.
Spearheaded by the IU party, it is demanding an immediate end to the pouring of over 10,000 litres of untreated sewage into Guadalhorce River every year.
Coordinator Miguel Esteban Martín, said: “The contamination of the rivers and underwater aquifers is not acceptable.”
He continued: “Currently nine municipalities, covering more than 100,000 registered inhabitants, are continuing to release untreated sewage into the river.
“It is causing a decline in populations of fish, amphibians, reptiles, invertebrates, birds and vegetation”.
By law the process should have come to an end by 2009.
The IU does not support the Water Agency’s plan to build a single sewage plant focusing on Pizarra and Álora, describing it as “economically and environmentally unsustainable.”
It is anticipated that the campaign, called Guadalhorce Vivo, Depuradora Ya, began in Pizarra, will spread to all municipalities in the district.
A petition of 10,000 signatures will be handed into the Junta in Sevilla.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00