EXCLUSIVE by Nicola Cowell
A PETITION has been launched against property mogul Darragh Macanthony’s beleaguered firm MRI.
So far nearly 500 people have signed up to demand action against the Costa del Sol-based company.
Macanthony, chairman of struggling Peterborough United Football Club, is accused of misleading hundreds of property investors, who have lost their life savings in bogus deals.
Meanwhile the property boss, who has lived in Marbella for years, has been looking at various investments in the US.
The Misled Realty Investors Support Group (MRISG) claims MRI falsely led them to believe they were investing money in property or furniture packs that never materialised.
A spokesman from the group said: “Thousands of people have lost their life savings in the form of deposits paid for properties that were either not built or not finished.
“They promised renting arrangements that have never happened, and furniture packs that were never delivered.”
After long delays in receiving paid-for furniture, many investors were told that the company was waiting until there were enough orders for the delivery to be warranted.
But, after reading the amended terms and conditions, they found that if their order was over a year old they would not receive their furniture.
The Support Group claims that many of them were told that the furniture companies had gone bust and MRI was not liable to reimburse its customers.
With the company advertising on television and at large exhibitions, potential investors had no reason to believe that they could end up out of pocket until it was too late.
In fact, many companies that appear linked to MRI, are now going into voluntary liquidation.
And, although CEO Dominic Pickering is adamant that companies such as MRI Overseas Property are not linked to MRI, the support group is not convinced.
MRI Media, formerly called MacAnthony Realty International UK Limited, reportedly owes around £560,000.
Despite numerous attempts the Olive Press was unable to speak to a representative in Spain for MRI or Dominic Pickering.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00