By Wendy Williams
SPAIN is continuing on its winning streak in the world of sport with a victory at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Dani Pedrosa won the Indianapolis MotoGP on his Repsol Honda to claim his third victory of the season.
He started fifth on the grid but succeeded in taking the lead from American Ben Spies on the seventh of 28 laps, fighting off the competition the rest of the way.
His countryman, defending Indy champion Jorge Lorenzo, had been expected to win the race, but wound up third behind Spies, finishing over 12 seconds behind Pedrosa.
But with six races remaining in the world championship Spain are definitely looking on top.
Lorenzo, who has won seven of the season’s first 10 races, leads the championship with 251 points.
And Pedrosa, who gained 10 points in this race and now trails Lorenzo by only 68, is in second place, with Italian Andrea Dovizioso in third.
Unfortunately however Spain’s success in Indianapolis was overshadowed by the news that 13-year-old racer Peter Lenz had died after crashing and being run over by another competitor in an earlier race.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00