By Wendy Williams
SPAIN is continuing on its winning streak in the world of sport with a victory at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Dani Pedrosa won the Indianapolis MotoGP on his Repsol Honda to claim his third victory of the season.
He started fifth on the grid but succeeded in taking the lead from American Ben Spies on the seventh of 28 laps, fighting off the competition the rest of the way.
His countryman, defending Indy champion Jorge Lorenzo, had been expected to win the race, but wound up third behind Spies, finishing over 12 seconds behind Pedrosa.
But with six races remaining in the world championship Spain are definitely looking on top.
Lorenzo, who has won seven of the season’s first 10 races, leads the championship with 251 points.
And Pedrosa, who gained 10 points in this race and now trails Lorenzo by only 68, is in second place, with Italian Andrea Dovizioso in third.
Unfortunately however Spain’s success in Indianapolis was overshadowed by the news that 13-year-old racer Peter Lenz had died after crashing and being run over by another competitor in an earlier race.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00