By Wendy Williams
WHILE the rest of the world may still be reeling from the effects of the recession but the Spanish head of fashion firm Zara has just got richer.
The fortune of Amancio Ortega has now exceeded 20 billion euros securing his place as the richest man in Spain and placing him quite comfortably in the world’s top ten.
According to Forbes he is now the world’s ninth richest man.
His recent growth in wealth comes thanks to a rise in the stock market value of his flagship company Inditex, of which he retains 59.29 per cent of the shares.
The textile group’s shares reached record highs this week, boosted by the launch of an online store for Zara.
Customers are now able to buy products over the internet on dedicated sites in France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain and
Since being first traded on the Madrid stock exchange on May 23, 2001 at a price of 14.7 euros, the share price of Inditex has almost quadrupled in value.
But the fashion and retail entrepreneur has not yielded to the temptation to sell more of his shares.
And so he will now pocket 443.5 million euros when the dividends are distributed later this year.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27