A BRITISH couple has been found dead in their apartment in Tenerife.
Police were alerted to the apartment in the resort of Playa de Las Americas after maintenance workers noticed a strong odour coming from the premises.
It is thought the couple, who had lived in Spain for five years, had been dead for at least five days.
According to initial reports the as yet unnamed man, 57, and woman, 69, died of natural causes and the bodies show no sign of violence.
The woman was found dead on the bed, while the man had a head injury and was found in the living room of the apartment in the Residencial Los Cardones complex.
It is thought the man, who according to neighbours had a terminal illness, could have hit his head in a fall and his wife could have then taken her own life.
The Judicial Police have opened a full investigation.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00