By Wendy Williams
THE Spanish have long been known for their creativity, but fashion designer Dr Manel Torres might have taken this just a little too far.
His invention, Fabrican, is exactly what it says on the tin; a fabric in an aerosol can.
Made from cotton fibres, polymers (to bind them together) and solvents to keep it in liquid form, Fabrican adds another dimension to the world of skin-tight clothing.
It is sprayed directly onto your body, and dries as soon as it comes into contact with the skin.
Then the garment can be taken off, washed and re-worn just like a conventional fabric.
Even better, if you fancy a new wardrobe, the whole lot can be dissolved and used again.
In a demonstration, Torres took just 15 minutes to spray a T-shirt onto a male model. A female model was given the same treatment.
Torres has spent the last decade working on the invention in collaboration with the Imperial College, in London.
According to the Spanish designer, the idea was to create perfect fitting clothes instantly and cheaply.
“I really wanted to make a futuristic, seamless, quick and comfortable material” he said.
But best of all, it has emerged that the invention could even have uses in the world of medicine with the advent of spray on bandages.
It could also be useful for the transport and chemical industries, as well as for furniture upholstery.
So whether it’s for a band-aid or a hot date, spray on polymer composites are there for you.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27