AMID Spain’s financial struggle, the Hotel of Mama y Papa is doing better than ever, with a third of adult kids still living at home.
And more than half of those under 28 are not financially independent and rely on their parents to get to the end of every month.
The announcement that over 30 per cent of 25 to 35-year-olds haven’t yet flown the nest is somewhat embarrassing for Spain, as its statistic is 30 times higher than Denmark and 10 times higher than other European countries.
The huge disparity has come as the cost of living in Spain has risen well above average salaries.
According to Alessandro Gentile, a researcher at the Institute of Policy, it is hard for young people to go it alone.
This is demoralising for them, as well as their parents who have invested in education only to see their offspring failing to be independent.
“The job insecurity of children results in insecurity for families, economically and emotionally,” he explained.
University graduate Alicia Canes, 28, from Barcelona, has been forced to move to London as she was unable to find a job in Spain.
The graduate, who speaks six languages, said: “Without my parents I would not make it to the end of the month.
“I never would have imagined that our generation would spend our adult lives just trying to find a job. It is a very disheartening situation.
“My parents – and the state – have invested heavily in my training. But where has all this investment gone? It is an injustice.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00