BRITISH paedophile Martin Smith was convicted of raping a seven-year-old girl.
Smith, who was arrested in Barcelona in May, abused his victim over nine years from 1995 to 2004, often using hypnosis.
He was found guilty on 11 charges of rape, attempted rape and indecent assault.
His partner, Lianne Smith, is being held by Spanish police after murdering their two children in Lloret de Mar on the Costa Brava.
11-month-old Daniel and five-year-old Rebecca were found dead in the Hotel Miramar on May 18.
She told police she feared losing custody of her children after her husband was extradited to the UK.
Martin Smith, from North Shields, is not linked to the deaths of their children.
In 2007, Smith was arrested after his victim reported the abuse, but he denied all charges and was granted bail, fleeing to Spain with his family.
The jury heard how he would bully his victim, who would pretend to be under the influence of hypnotism, before raping her repeatedly.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00