A PROPERTY developer currently on trial in the Malaya corruption case has announced he will run for mayor of Cordoba.
Rafael ‘Sandokan’ Gomez is standing in the May municipal elections for the Union Cordobese party.
Among his firms is the Arenal 2000 real estate company, which infamously constructed thousands of properties without licenses before its collapse last year.
He is also being tried for his dealings with Juan Antonio Roca, the key suspect in the massive Malaya corruption trial in Malaga.
Sandokan says he’s been waiting for an opportunity to enter politics for 20 years and promises to provide employment and affordable housing if elected.
Before he can face voters, however, his candidature must first be cleared by the courts.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00