A PROPERTY developer currently on trial in the Malaya corruption case has announced he will run for mayor of Cordoba.
Rafael ‘Sandokan’ Gomez is standing in the May municipal elections for the Union Cordobese party.
Among his firms is the Arenal 2000 real estate company, which infamously constructed thousands of properties without licenses before its collapse last year.
He is also being tried for his dealings with Juan Antonio Roca, the key suspect in the massive Malaya corruption trial in Malaga.
Sandokan says he’s been waiting for an opportunity to enter politics for 20 years and promises to provide employment and affordable housing if elected.
Before he can face voters, however, his candidature must first be cleared by the courts.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00