By Wendy Williams
A BRITISH expat has blown his fuse after electricity company Endesa failed to fix a faulty electric metre outside his house.
Peter Rennie, 50, has been trying to contact the company ever since the device caught fire two months ago.
The Scotsman – who has lived in Spain with wife Emma for nearly eight years – believes the fault is endangering his young family.
The father-of-four has been unable to get the problem fixed at his home in San Pablo de Buceite due to an apparent catch-22.
According to Rennie electricians are unable to touch the box without Endesa’s permission.
“The law is simple. Everything inside the house is the responsibility of the owner and everything outside is Endesa,” explained Rennie.
“No one else can touch it for safety reasons; they can actually be denounced if they do.”
He explained how he had been “going round in circles” trying to fix a cable from the box to the house which repeatedly catches on fire.
“It keeps fusing the house but nothing is being done,” he said. “I’m always told someone will call back but they never do.
“I am worried that it is dangerous and it could cause a house fire.”
He continued: “It is completely farcical. Endesa insists it won’t fix it because of the cost. But if another company tries to fix it they will be fined for interfering. It’s a catch-22.”
The ex-military man, who owns Rose and Thistle Construction company, added: “Over the years I have worked with numerous clients who have come up against a brick wall with Endesa. They are a law unto themselves.”