A COURT case has been suspended after the home addresses of up to a dozen police officers were handed to crooks.
In an alarming clericial error, the names and addresses of at least eight leading detectives from Malaga’s National police were accidently included in the case summary.
The trial of the French mafia gang, which was to begin at Marbella’s Court Number 4 last week, involved charges of kidnapping, extortion and drug trafficking.
The dangerous group, who were rounded up in 2007, possessed 1,500kg of marijuana and a number of illegal firearms, including a submachine gun.
One of the four gang members arrested had even been wanted in connection with the shooting of a policeman in Spain.
Now the SUP union, which represents six of the men, is calling for a full investigation into the matter.
“We are talking about people in the mafia, who are credited with murdering a policeman,” said a spokeman, who insisted it was a clear violation of the law.
“This points them to the homes of the elite of the Malaga police. It is the worst thing that could happen.”
The public prosecutor admitted that the information was given out at the request of the four defendants.
Over 30 officers were involved in Operation Arenal in July 2007 that led to the arrest of the Frenchmen.
The gang from Marseille are of French Algerian descent, with one member facing 35 years in a French prison.
They were previously implicated in an attempt to hijack a police van in order to free one of the members.
- Expat female chef chases off machete-wielding robbers - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 06:00
- People who study are healthier - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:30
- Poet Carlos Pranger: The new Brenan - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:00
- Spanish women are having fewer children - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:15
- Pill bargaining - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:00
- Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum set to open in Malaga - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Spain complains about Gibraltar landfill plans - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Operation nuclear clean-up - 15 Mar, 2011 @ 08:30
- Sevilla royal visit for Prince Charles and Camilla - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 10:56
- Ruffled feathers in Ronda - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 08:45