A BRITISH woman was attacked and decapitated in a Chinese supermarket in Los Cristianos on the holiday island of Tenerife yesterday afternoon.
Witnesses said the deranged man used a large knife or machete he picked up in the supermarket to stab and decapitate the 60-year-old Jennifer Mills-Westley. He then ran out into the street covered in blood, carrying his victim’s head and telling passers-by, “This is my treasure”.
Police arrested the man as he was struggling with a security guard and members of the public and trying to escape.
Spanish media reports name the suspect as 28-year-old Deyan Valentinov, who is believed to be a homeless Bulgarian man with a history of mental illness.
The British Foreign Office said the British consul has contacted the woman’s family.
Tenerife is home to about one million residents and one of Spain’s most popular tourist destinations.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33