NOVAK Djokovic outplayed Spain’s big-hitting Rafa Nadal to win the Wimbledon men’s singles title with an emphatic 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 victory in the Centre Court final today.
The Serbian second seed saw off the top seed and defending champion to claim his first Wimbledon crown and confirm his status as the new world number one.
Novak has given Rafa an embarrassing run-around this year as part of his amazing streak of 47 singles wins and just the one defeat (to Roger Federer in the Roland Garros semi-finals).
Four times in 2011 they have previously met in finals and Djokovic swept the lot, twice on the hard courts of North America in successive tournaments at Indian Wells and Miami, and then twice on clay (Madrid and Rome), the surface where Nadal has ruled supreme for the past six years. In the American finals Rafa at least rescued a set on each occasion, but on the red clay it was straight sets both times.
Djokoic has now become the first Serbian male tennis player to be ranked No.1 in the world, following lead of his two female compatriots, Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic.
A gentleman as ever Nadal was still smiling at the end of the match. “I’d like to compliment Novak for his performance today and his amazing season,” he said. “Wimbledon is the most special tournament. I can imagine how Novak feels.”
And ecstatic champion Djokovic responded, “It’s really hard to describe this with words but it is the best day of my life,” he says. “I’ve always dreamed of this. That’s probably my best match on grass. I would like to congratulate Rafa for having a great tournament.”
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33