IT has featured in two blockbuster films Conan the Barbarian and Indiana Jones, but now the Cueva de San Roque is about to be replaced by a shopping centre.
Demolition work has already begun on the well-known Almerian cave, known as ‘La Molineta’.
The ancient site – which played host to Arnold Schwarzenegger for the Conan movie in 1982 and later for scenes in Indiana Jones starring Harrison Ford – was due to be protected by the Junta’s culture department.
Now 30 residents associations have joined forces with the IU party to try to bring the construction to a halt.
The IU party has already raised questions in Andalucia’s parliament and a series of protests have been planned for the summer.
Under the banner Salvar La Molineta, local residents are demanding a stop to the construction of the commercial centre by company Carrida.
A demolition crew has already cleared much of the land around the so-called quarry area of La Molineta and last week started on the cave.
The residents claim that the work is also affecting nearby caves.
However, the construction company argue that the roof of the cave was about to collapse and that the site had become a haunt for local drug users.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46