A SUSPECTED member of a terror group linked to Al-Qaeda has been detained by Spanish police in La Linea.
Abdellatif Aoulad Chiba, from Morocco, was arrested after it emerged he had been attempting to recruit members to carry out a terrorist attack involving the contamination of water supplies, according to the Spanish Interior Ministry.
The accused was operating a radical website which was used to spread propaganda and encouraged people to convert to Islam.
The Ministry alleges the website also provided training and guidance for new recruits, encouraged terrorist activity and provided links to media produced by Islamic terror groups.
Chiba is understood to have been involved in terrorist activity in the past, which had resulted in him being expelled from Jordan.
The Royal Gibraltar Police is keeping a close eye on developments and is being kept ‘in the loop’ by the Spanish authorities.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46