A RESOURCEFUL priest who shot pigeons – and then turned them into a soup good enough to ‘revive the dead’ – has been reported to the Guardia Civil.
Father Juan Luis Garcia allegedly attacked the feathered vermin with an airgun at night.
Accompanied by children from the parish, he is alleged to have carried out the DIY pest control from the steeple of the Santa Maria Church.
He said the 600 or more pigeons nesting in the roof of the church in Puebla de Don Fadrique in Granada – along with their corrosive droppings – are damaging the building.
A report from environmental group Ecologistas en Accion said airguns should only be used to shoot targets, not animals, and that pest control should be carried out by professionals.
The group also said that shooting birds in this way represents ‘a serious danger’ to the village’s inhabitants.
Father Garcia, however, insisted he caught the pigeons by hand and killed them in the most painless way possible.
He claimed that he is totally against animal cruelty, adding that pigeons are not an endangered species and that they are, after all, edible.
“It is dangerous to eat city birds because of their diets, but here in the countryside there’s no problem with it because they eat corn, wheat and peas,” he added.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10