IT was certainly one of the most memorable interviews of my life.
Helping to compile a list of the Top 100 bands of All Time for the Daily Mail, I got to hang out with Joe Strummer at London’s Groucho Club.
We talked for hours about his life and loves and the conversation was frequently peppered with references to Spain.
Myself, having earlier lived in Madrid for two years we had a lot of shared interests, including a passionate interest in the Civil War.
The biggest coincidence though was his love of the little-known corner of Andalucia, Cabo de Gata, where I had literally just got back from a holiday.
“I’ve got a timeshare in San Jose,” he told me. “I head down every year and love the vibes down there.”
But, it was clear he had a massive love of the whole region and this reflected in his songs.
We got on well and he gave me his home number in the West Country, where I would later hang out with him at Glastonbury festival.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00