SCOTLAND Yard has called for the investigation into missing Madeleine McCann to be reopened.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood is leading a team of 37 detectives who are following up 195 leads.
Almost five years after her disappearance, an age-enhanced photo has been released to show what the British child would look like now.
Redwood said he ‘genuinely’ believed she could be alive, adding he thinks she was abducted by a stranger.
The team is however following another equally strong line of inquiry that she might now be dead.
Last week Spanish police were hunting for the child in Nerja following a tip-off from Portuguese police that a child with a ‘strong physical resemblance’ had been seen there.
Meanwhile the Olive Press is investigating a possible sighting by an expat who claims she saw a blonde girl who could have been Maddie on Penoncillo Beach between Nerja and Torrox last summer.
Rose Johnson said she was ‘taken aback’ when the young girl, around eight years old, joined a party of Hispanic-looking adults – and later saw a people carrier with a Portuguese number plate parked nearby.
“It had quite an impact on us,” she said. “The girl definitely wasn’t Spanish.”
Next Thursday, May 3, will mark the fifth anniversary of Maddie’s disappearance from a holiday resort in the Algarve in 2007.
Her ninth birthday is May 12.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10