HERE we go again!
The health fascists in the government of NSGB, not satisfied with stopping us from smoking, now want to stop us from drinking.
Regular readers might remember that I predicted this scenario many months ago.
They have just dusted off all the old statistics about liver disease, heart attacks, etc. etc. and wheeled them out to justify another futile endeavour at social engineering.
Theresa May, the Home Secretary, has announced that, amongst other things, she will be setting a minimum price per unit of alcohol sold and will ban special offers such as two-for-one on booze sales.
She obviously knows what is good for us so why she doesn’t go the whole hog and declare prohibition is beyond me.
It failed in America in the 1920s so, for an administration that is entirely devoid of any sort of original ideas, why not try it again now?
If it wants to discourage the drinking of alcoholic beverages, the government’s job should be one of education not of imposing a nanny state on everyone, moderate drinkers included.
If retailers flout the law and sell booze to under-age persons then they should be vigorously prosecuted.
However, if anyone over the age of consent chooses to drink to excess then it is their decision entirely.
If they don’t impose their values on anyone else they should be left to their own devices.
The offence of being drunk and disorderly in public is already on the statute book so why not enforce it.
At 18 years everyone is regarded as a mature citizen which gives them the right to choose their own lifestyle.
Educate them by all means but don’t come the “Nanny knows best” routine.
And what about those of us who are a tad beyond 18 years? We are again being penalised because an immoderate minority has yet to learn how to hold its whisky.
Look out for: graphic health warnings on anything with an alcohol content; a ban on advertising liquor of any sort before the 9pm watershed: followed by a total ban on advertising liquor; all bottles of wine to carry nondescript labels which won’t attract young people; a ban on displaying bottles in liquor stores; imposition of a maximum alcohol content (probably close to zero percent) on all alcoholic beverages; and, finally, prohibition itself.
For my money, I wouldn’t appoint Theresa May as secretary of a glee club let alone Home Secretary of a nation. It is quite obvious that she couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46