By Eloise Horsfield
AN expat wishing to regulate his illegal property has fallen at the first hurdle after Competa Town Hall sent him away when he tried to get the necessary paperwork.
It comes despite the Junta passing a decree in January promising the legalisation of 250,000 properties in Andalucia – but Albert Vickers, 67, insists town hall officials have been ‘useless.’
“They said they haven’t got the papers and they don’t know what I’m talking about,” said Vickers, originally from Bournemouth. He has been unable to move into his house because it has no electricity or water.
However Phillip Smalley, head of the English-run residents group Save Our Homes Axarquia (SOHA) insisted all the town halls have been to seminars to explain how it will work.
“We are advising all our members to do nothing for now,” said Smalley, who represents many of the owners of the estimated 11,000 illegal homes in the Axarquia. “I suggest Mr Vickers joins SOHA so we can look at his individual case and give him the advice he needs,” he added.
When the Olive Press contacted the town hall a spokesperson said: “The decree states that some properties will be legalised, but not all. Anyone who wants help can come into the town hall and we will do our best,” she added.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10