IT is one of her favourite destinations.
So it is fitting that Gwyneth Paltrow is returning to Spain to play the role of Picasso’s long-time lover Dora Maar.
The fluent Spanish speaker will star opposite Antonio Banderas in the film 33 Days, which hinges on the making of masterpiece Guernica.
Directed by Carlos Saura, the couple will be filming in the Basque region in September, before heading to Paris.
Picasso’s most important muse Maar, who posed for nearly 200 paintings, moved with him to Paris.
The French photographer/artist was famous in her own right before meeting the celebrated Malaga artist, who she dated for nine years.
It will be a happy return to Spain for Paltrow – married to British rock star Chris Martin from Coldplay.
She spent over a month with the Lazaro-Ruiz family in Talavera de la Reina, near Toledo, when she was 14 and has been back various times.
“She was very warm from the first day and ever since we have maintained a good relationship,” Julia Ruiz recently told El Mundo about her ‘adopted daughter’.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10