A STUDENT who translated the iconic balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet into text speak has won a gold medal in the Roses Student Award.
Alexander James Edwards from Northumbria University, wanted to highlight how SMS texting is impacting on young people’s ability to spell correctly as well as read and write.
The book presents Act 2 Scene 2 of Shakespeare’s tome in text speak.
At the end, the reader is asked to flip the book over, to find the full original text.
“By flipping the book the reader fixes the problem,” explained Edwards, adding: “Hopefully it highlights the shortcomings of text speak.”
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02