IT is slowly becoming one of inland Andalucia’s most exciting places to visit.
And the best way to get to Lucainena de las Torres is by bike, enjoying the fabulous via verde that takes cyclists up to the mountain town from the coast.
Actually, you will probably have to take your car, winding up to the village on one of the charming lanes from the main motorway, via Nijar or Polopos.
You will soon find yourself lost in a stunning area of rolling hills and nature.
Sitting at just over 500 metres at the foot of the Sierra Alhamilla, Lucainena is great for hiking and watching birds.
The town was founded in the 19th century after a string of iron ore mines were opened.
Taking the ore via a railway line to Agua Amarga in Cabo de Gata, some of it now the via verde, the mines brought considerable wealth to the area and saw the town expand to 7,000 residents in its heyday.
Today just 700 souls live in the town, an attractive, well looked after place, with a pretty church and fantastic scenery.
It gets its name after the string of towers which sit at the edge of the old mines.
You are guaranteed to have a lovely time spending a day or two in the area, as part of a trip to the region.
And don’t forget if you want to get hold of some of the best olive oil in Spain, take a short ride from here to the amazing olive oil factory Oro del Desierto, near Tabernas.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46