A FOREST fire is spreading rapidly on the mountain of La Morama near Canillas de Aceituno, Axarquia.
Five helicopters and a plane are currently trying to extinguish the blaze which has continued to spread throughout the day, with eyewitnesses claiming at least one building has been destroyed.
Expat Ben Sibree-Paul, 38, from Sheffield who spotted the fire, told the Olive Press on Friday afternoon: “I am a long way away, and the fire seems bigger again.
It has moved uphill incredibly fast but the trees are sparser higher up and it might have moved around a kilometre. There are no more buildings in the path that I can see.”
Spain is currently facing its worst wildfires in a decade, with more than three times as much forest being destroyed so far this year than in the whole of 2011.
Around 50,000 hectares of land were torched in the first five months of 2012, according to the Environment Ministry.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36