By David ‘the Dogman’
FOR years it has been medically documented that dogs, cats, rabbits and birds, help people live longer and healthier lives.
Being responsible for caring for an animal often gives new meaning to someone who is living alone or who is far from loved ones.
Pets can help elderly people keep an active lifestyle and may help fill a void left by the death of a loved one or living away from one’s family.
For working families taking on a rescue pet, children should be encouraged to help and go to dog training classes which are educational, and can be a lot of fun.
Seniors may want to consider adopting an older adult animal instead of a rambunctious ‘teenage’ puppy or kitten.
Older pets are more likely to be calm, already house trained and less susceptible to unpredictable behaviour.
Animal shelter staff can help potential adopters find the most suitable animal for their lifestyle.
Many senior citizens take on a dog far too powerful for them and they become unmanageable. If you live in an apartment then you must have a small dog.
Dogs lives evolve around odour; I always recommend bathing a rescue pet as soon as possible.
By doing this you wash away the old identity and allow the dog to get his new identity.
Most dogs will roll in the ground to get their new identity.
Take your new pet for a walk around the area as soon as possible. This allows your new pet to learn the new smells of the area.
Ensure that all doors and gates are secure and that you have a microchip and a tab on the collar with your telephone number.
While you may feel sorry for the new pet don’t overdo the attention. It’s best not to smother the dog and keep in mind that now is the time to set the rules of your home.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36