BRITAIN’S Royal Horticultural Society has announced this image taken in Spain as the winner of its annual Photographic Competition.
The picture of an olive tree surrounded by tulips was taken by Josie Elias, who scoops up the €1,200 prize money and title of ‘Photographer of the Year’.
“We stumbled on the Iris Garden at Plantas Distintas in Marnes, near Alicante. I was particularly intrigued by the contrast of the gnarled old olive tree and colourful spring flowers,” said Elias.
Competition organiser James Arnold said: “We have had a record number of entries this year, doubling figures from last year.
The judges have been astounded by the extraordinary quality of the images which people have produced from all over the world, it’s simply breathtaking and it was very difficult to choose a winner.”
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00