A BRITISH expat is facing an embargo on her home over a €600 debt which is not hers.
Kritzlynn Al-Taib, 62, claims her local town hall has ordered her to pay the last six years of water bills from a restaurant she legally closed in 2006.
Al-Taib had rented the Almijara restaurant in Canillas de Albaida, in the Axarquia, for over two years before closing the restaurant due to ill health.
It was then taken over by a local family who ran it until recently.
Now the town hall is demanding the expat pay €600.11 in utility costs or face an embargo on her home and bank account.
“Of course I was legally responsible for the water when I ran the restaurant but the town hall know the contract came to an end in 2006,” she told the Olive Press.
“The mayor lives in the village, so he knows very well that this restaurant was being run by a local family for the last six years and not me.
“They must not have registered to pay their bills,” added the expat.
Al-Taib says she will not back to the demands.
“I’m digging my heels in, I’ve always paid my dues and paid my taxes here in Spain, so why should I be made to pay a debt that is not mine,” she added.
Al-Taib says she has repeatedly asked the mayor Jorge Martin Perez to look into the matter more closely.
“He told me not to occupy myself with it, it will be sorted he said,” added Al-Taib, who has until the end of the month before the embargo is placed.
The town of Canillas de Albaida hit the headlines last June when former mayor, Leovigildo Lopez, was banned from public office for seven years, narrowly escaping jail for planning crimes.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36