THE Spanish doctor at the heart of the blood-doping scandal has caused speculation over Real Madrid players using banned drugs.
Eufemiano Fuentes is currently on trial accused of overseeing a large-scale doping operation within the cycling industry.
However, the doctor has stated that he has also worked with athletes from other sports, including professional football.
Leaving court last week, Fuentes told a Spanish radio station he was ‘interested in collecting a debt from Real Madrid’.
When asked if the debt was for medical services he provided to the La Liga champions Fuentes responded with: “I can’t answer that.”
Real Madrid spokeswoman Marta Santisteban, however, said the money Fuentes referred to is from his participation as witness in a lawsuit the club undertook against French newspaper Le Monde.
The newspaper lost the case and was forced to pay damages after stating that Real Madrid, and several other clubs, used performance-enhancing drugs.
“Fuentes is asking to be paid for his travel and lodging expenses when he was called to act as a witness,” said Santisteban.
“(Real) Madrid has no problem with paying him when he produces necessary receipts,” she added.
The club later released another statement which read: “Facing the attempt by Fuentes to mislead, clearly with bad intention, public opinion regarding the nature of his relationship with the club, Real Madrid are going to take immediate legal action against Fuentes.”
The football giants are not the first club to be linked to Fuentes in recent months.
In February, former president of Real Sociedad, Inaki Badiola, said the club paid for their players to be doped from 2001-2007, hinting at Fuentes as a possible supplier.
Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong is also facing criminal charges in Spain if it is proven he committed doping offences in the country while cycling for the U.S. Postal Service team.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36