DAVID Shamoon, the Iraqi born entrepreneur credited with revitalising the Marbella Club Hotel in the 90s, died at his home in Marbella on Sunday. The 82-year-old had been suffering from pneumonia.
In 1993 Shamoon headed a group of investors that brought the emblematic but ailing Marbella Club Hotel and its sister Hotel Puente Romano.
Over the next few years he invested over €40 million in the hotel, reestablishing it as one of the leading hotels in Europe, opening the Marbella Club Golf Resort . Shamoon also coaxed back Count Rudi von Schonberg, a legendary figure at the hotel since the 50s, who had resigned in 1990 over the introduction of topless sunbathing.
Shamoon’s body was flown to London on Monday, where he will be buried according to Jewish tradition.
- LOOK OF LUX: Giles Brown is an expert at picking out a face in a crowd, even in Spain’s Malaga Airport - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 17:03
- Giles Brown is more Christopher Biggins than Christopher Reeve as he learns to fly in southern Spain - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 16:08
- OPEN SEASON: Giles Brown puts up many a guest at his place, but draws the line at garden yurts - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00