TOKYO has won the battle to host the Olympic Games in 2020 after beating rivals Madrid and Istanbul.
The Japanese capital was named as host by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) meeting in Buenos Aires this evening.
It was heartbreak for Spanish sports fans as Madrid, who had failed in its bids to host the last two Olympic Games, was knocked out in the first round of voting. This left Tokyo and Istanbul in the final head-to-head.
Both Tokyo and Madrid pledged to spend a fraction of the cost of the London 2012 Games.
Madrid 2020 boasted 80% of its venues are already in place and a construction budget of just £1.3bn – London’s comparable cost was £9bn.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33