SANDRA ORTEGA MERA has become Spain’s richest woman after inheriting her mother’s stake in the world’s largest clothing retailer Inditex.
She received around 90% of Rosalia Mera’s fortune, and has a net worth of $7.3 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Her riches have also made her the 182nd richest person in the world and the youngest female European billionaire on Bloomberg’s ranking.
Inditex, whose brands include Zara, Pull & Bear and Bershka, operates more than 6,000 stores worldwide.
The group has increased its net income by at least 10% per annum in each of the past three years.
It was set up by Mera and her then-husband, Amancio Ortega in 1963. The first Zara store opened 12 years later.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40