DOZENS of Gibraltarians are to blockade the Spanish embassy in London this weekend.
Supporters of the Rock and local UK politicians will also join the protest against the current border problems and a series of wider issues.
The demonstration, organised by the Defenders of Gibraltar with its sister group Gibraltarians Worldwide, is a response to what the groups see as Spain’s oppressive attitude to Gibraltar.
They claim the British Overseas Territory has to endure extreme levels of harassment, intimidation and oppression by Spanish state machinery.
And they accuse the Spanish government of using state media to pursue an anti-Gibraltarian hate campaign, portraying Gibraltar as an outdated colony, a tax haven and a smugglers’ nest.
Annie-Marie-Struggles, one of the organisers of the protest, told the Olive Press, “This is the first step of many that we will be taking to embarrass the Spanish government.
“We will be handing in a letter and a portfolio of the harassment and inhumane actions to the embassy. What is happening in Gibraltar would not be tolerated anywhere else. We are not being allowed to grow as a nation”.
Gareth Gingell added “We will also be doing the same at the European Parliament as part of our longer term strategy.
“We aim to get the world to look at Spain and remember how it treats Gibraltar.”
Lord Dartmoor is expected to attend and Paul Nuttall MEP, deputy leader of UKIP, told the Olive Press “The Defenders of Gibraltar have been doing sterling work for a long time now, highlighting the abuses of the Spanish authorities.
“The demonstration is both necessary to bring home the point and timely given the way that the Spanish authorities continue to harass the people of Gibraltar”.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40