THE Andalucian Government is opposing the radical revision of Spain’s abortion law.
This come as it emerged that two thirds of women who have had an abortion in the last four months would do it illegally or abroad under the proposed restrictions.
Authorities are to ask the Justice Ministry to pull the law, which will allow abortion only in cases of rape, or when continuing the pregnancy poses a severe threat to the mother’s health.
Catalonia will follow suit, meaning Spain’s most populated regions are both opposing the ban.
Other regions, including Asturias, the Basque Country and the Canary Islands are also against it, branding the proposals regressive and ‘an incomprehensible step backwards.’
The Clinics Association for Termination of Pregnancy found that 32% of women would have sought an abortion in another country, while 30% would have done it in secret.
The proposals have sparked outrage across the country since they were first put forward in December.
Thousands of people have taken to the streets in multiple protest marches in Spain’s cities, while unity protests have taken place outside Spain’s embassy in other European countries.
It is considered to be favouring illegal abortions and encouraging women with greater financial resources to go abroad to terminate pregnancies. At the moment Spanish law allows abortion up to the 14th week of pregnancy or up to 22 weeks in cases of foetal deformities.
In the UK, a pressure group called My Belly is Mine, has been set up by campaigners to defend the rights of Spanish women to have abortions.
The group organised a protest march in London, and is calling for those opposed to the legislation to hang a clothes hangers from the rails of the Hungerford Bridge.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40